Who is this for?Teams who wish to train a group of police snipers at once, either with just their department or surrounding agencies.
Five (5) Day/ 50 HoursOur 5-day, 50-hour curriculum is designed for law enforcement personnel that are currently assigned to a SWAT team and are designated to perform the specialty of police sniper. This is a Certification Level course and will require each participant to pass a written examination, qualification course and fieldcraft exercises. Our Basic Police Sniper course provides a strong foundation of the fundamentals of precision rifle shooting, positional shooting, basic tripod shooting & fieldcraft. The teaching methodology conducted is crawl, walk, run, and begins with the proper fitting of the precision rifle to the student. Each day’s learning objectives will build upon the previous day emphasizing consistency with every task. In addition to the shooting aspect, operational deployment procedures from the vehicle to conventional SWAT callouts and establishing an effective observation position will be taught. Case studies and legal precedents involving the use of deadly force by police snipers will be discussed. The American Sniper Association Police Sniper Utilization Report will be introduced and discussed.
P.O.S.T. Accreditation is available for this course.
Each student will receive a one year membership in the American Sniper Association.
This course is currently only available in the Greater Las Vegas, Nevada area.
COURSE TOPICS COVERED:
- Ballistic theory and Calculations
- Kit Selection
- Alternate Positions
- Mission Planning
- Mission Deployments
General InformationThis information is subject to change and meant to serve as general planning guidelines. Please check with the specific course flier for the most up to date information and requirements for any upcoming scheduled courses.
- Active member of a collateral duty or full time SWAT team. SWAT Carbine Certified or Patrol Rifle Certified by your agency.
- Precision rifle with quality variable powered riflescope, bipod & adjustable sling consistently capable of delivering 1 MOA or better groups (bolt action/semi auto). No patrol rifles or non-magnified optics. NOTE: Remington 700 rifles with Accidental Discharge history not allowed in course
- 500 rounds Factory Match Ammunition-No reloads (Duty rounds acceptable such as ELD/AMAX, ballistic tip, BTHP. Calibers allowed (223 Rem/308 WIN/6.5 CM)
- 60 rounds of Barrier (Bonded) Ammunition
- Binoculars or spotting scope
- Gas mask
- Sniper LBV or plate carrier
- Shooting Tripod (will provided if needed)
- Sniper Deployment Pack
- Minimum (2) Magazines (Semi-auto and bolt)
- Rear Support Bag
- Sniper Data Book
- Ear Protection
- Eye Protection (Clear Lenses)
- Hat (boonie or baseball style)
Recommended Support Gear
- Magazine pouches for extra rifle magazines
- Rifle Cleaning Gear
- Shooting Mat
- Rifle Tools (Fix It Sticks, Nightforce etc.)
- Shooter’s Belt
- Kestrel Ballistic Weather Meter
- Laser Range Finder (LRF)
- Field or Camping Chair
- Water Source
- Snacks and Lunch
Rifles and ammunition can be shipped to Dark Horse Tactical for storage. Please contact email@example.com for arrangements
Interested in Hosting the Basic Sniper Course?
We are here to help!
Related News & Resources
WFTV Eyewitness News 9- Video: SWAT teams practice sniper response at Camping World Stadium Featuring Tacflow Instructors
Our team was filmed teaching during the ABC WFTV9 interview with Orlando Police- SWAT teams practice sniper response at Camping …
Lafayette, LA – Becoming SWAT- Public Venue Training
Every operator with the Special Weapons And Tactics team, as well as each …
Watch a video compilation on our featured course- Police Sniper Response to a public venue created and taught by Mark …
By Mark Lang
Tactical Edge/ Spring 2015
In March 2008, the FBI and Department of Homeland Security issued an assessment asserting that …
“Activities in the BC Place Stadium located in downtown Vancouver were set aside recently to let the Vancouver Police Department …
Law Enforcement Technology May 2013
By Mark Lang
“At the completion of this article another terrorist attack has taken the lives of …
by Mark Lang
At the completion of this article another terrorist attack has taken the lives of fellow Americans at a …
“Arkansas State Police and Little Rock and North Little Rock SWAT team members return from sniper positions around War Memorial …
By Andre’ M. Dall’au
(Public Venue Countersniping article was originally published by Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement- November 2012)
As early …